CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Grandpa Goose


Deep breath. What a week...two weeks...it's been.

Some of you know - though most of you don't - that my grandpa is not doing well. I wanted to send out a call for prayer a while ago, but my mind has been mush and my emotions all over the place, and I just haven't had it in me to sit down and write anything. But he just really needs prayer, and so does my family.

I won't get into all the details, because that would take forever. A basic rundown: 2 1/2 weeks ago, he had a mild heart attack, went to hospital, 2/3 dr.'s recommended he have open heart surgery - quadruple bypass and valve replacement. They decided to go ahead with it, surgery was the following Thursday (mind you - he's 87). Who knows how many people were praying he would survive the surgery...he did! And seemed to be doing okay until the following Wed., when I got a call from my dad (this is his dad) saying grandpa had developed pneumonia, and things were looking grim. I dropped everything and headed to the hospital and was able to have a very sweet moment with him, despite the fact that he was really struggling physically. Since then (that was just last week), things have mostly gone downhill. He is on a ventilator and has had a couple dialysis treatments, he's heavily sedated but aware of his surroundings (we think). To be honest, I think we all thought he'd be gone by now. There have been many consultations with dr.'s and amongst his wife/children (there are 5 kids, my dad's the youngest) to try and decide what to do. I think most everyone has travelled back to say their goodbyes to him. I will always be grateful for some time I had with him on Saturday to just tell him how much I loved him and how much he means to me....the hardest thing I've ever done, but necessary.

So, I'd really, really appreciate your prayer. The thing is, I'm really close with these grandparents. Most of my fondest childhood memories involve them, and over the last 10 years (since Steve and I started dating and we used their house as our meeting place while we did the long-distance relationship thing) Steve and I have spent a whole lot of time with them. Travis adores Granny and Grandpa "Goose". We're a tight (and huge-5 kids, 22 grandkids, and I think 49 great-grandkids!) family, and this has been so very difficult for all of us. And even beyond the family, they are very loved and respected within their church and community. The good news is that there are countless people praying!

As far as Grandpa goes, I'm not even sure how to pray. From Wed. until this morning, especially seeing him struggle so much physically and getting more and more bad news, I just really felt little hope and my prayer was that he wouldn't be suffering and that God would take him peacefully. However, today was the first day since Wed. when I think we received more good news than bad news. Enough to give us the tiniest sliver of hope. We've been praying that grandpa himself, in one way or another, would give us a clear indication of whether is ready to be done or ready to fight...could it be that he'll pull through this? Of course, he's still in a place where he could die at any time...it would be completely miraculous if he pulled through. And of course I would love for healing to occur, and it could... but it might not. Anyway...in that regard, hopefully I've given enough info that you might pray as you feel led?
The other request is just for strength, peace and wisdom... for all of us (me, my siblings, cousins, 2nd cousins), but particularly for my aunt, dad, three uncles, and my grandma, as they are most affected of all, and also trying to make the right decisions for him in the midst of such heavy emotion. We love him so, so much. This has been very trying and exhausting for ME emotionally, but that much harder for them. So many tears being shed all around.

And most especially, for my sweet Granny Goose. They have been married for 67 years. They are truly "one", and she is dependent on him in so many ways. None of us are quite sure how she will cope and go on if indeed this is "his time". Please, please think of her in the coming days. My heart is aching for her.

I really do appreciate the prayers of my family and friends more than I can say. I know that you all have your burdens, too, and that in the grand scheme of things, he may seem like just another 87-year old grandpa who's time has come. I know there are "bigger" things to be praying for. But this is MY heart right now, and not just another grandpa. He means so much to me and frankly, I'm afraid of what my world would be like without him and Grandma. Their unconditional love and pride and support is a rare thing, something I cling to.

Anyway...thank you. Luke and Laurie are their names.

2 comments:

LDraper

I love your heart in this post. You can tell what an incredible man he is and how much he means to you. I remember vividly losing my Grandpa. So hard. I will pray for you guys--- and I'm thankful that I'm praying to the one and only God who is holding your Grandpa's hand in all of this.

Love, Lindsey

Mashel

Praying for you Sarabeth.It doesn't seem very long ago that I went through all this with Opa and it is so hard. You are all in my thoughts and prayres.