CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 12, 2010

Life lately...

Well, apparently I am incapable of being a wife/mom (and everything that comes with being a wife and mom) AND maintaining our family blog as I would like. So when something's gotta give...it's gonna be the blog :) But for anyone who would care to hear an update on the Butts family, you're in luck - the kids are in bed, Steve's at work, the house is clean enough, I have nothing else that is terribly pressing to accomplish, AND I'm at least a little in the mood to write. So here goes...

We are doing well! Life as of late has been, well, life. And that's a good thing!

Steve has been just workin' away. He's still on graveyard shift (and will be for at least the rest of 2010). The shift is great for our family in a lot of ways, but I will say that we're starting to notice the not-so-great. I guess the hardest part is the 3 days off he has every week, where it would be easiest for HIM to maintain the same sleep schedule, but best for the family if he could be awake with the rest of us. This mommy needs a break once in a while! Then again, there are pros and cons to any shift. I do love the flexibility in his schedule, and the fact that if I have any daytime obligations (dr.'s appt.'s, etc.), he can usually arrange his sleep around those. And we get to eat dinner together every night, which is important to us. Steve also recently began partnering up with another guy at work. This means he always has back-up, which I like, and also that he gets many of the more "exciting" calls, which he likes. :) Beyond work, Steve keeps plenty busy with the kids! They adore their daddy, that's for sure. I'm still just amazed at how much more time he spends at home than he did when he was at Quadrant. I love it!

Travis is still loving preschool. I can't believe it's already mid-March and he'll be DONE with pre-school in just a few months! Which means....kindergarten in 6 months! NOOOOO! This isn't happening! But yes, it is. We know that many parents of a boy with a June birthday would opt to wait an extra year before starting K., but unfortunately, Travis is ready to move on :) Socially, academically, emotionally - we have no doubt he's ready, and his pre-school teacher agreed. So, as much as I am dreading the end of his (literally) "pre-school" years, it's time to start preparing myself. Sigh. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago Steve and I attended a parents' night and open house for the school we hope he will attend. We REALLY hope he gets in!! It's a public school, but one that many people try to get into, for various reasons. And since we don't live within that specific neighborhood, we don't have a guaranteed spot. But this is in God's hands, as always. If it doesn't work out, then we will figure out a plan B.

Travis frequently surprises us in the ways he is growing up. He asks so many good questions, makes surprising observations (about God, people...and dumb stuff, too), uses words we've never heard him use. My Grandpa's passing has made him ask a whole lot of questions about God and heaven, and you can sense God stirring in his little heart. We just love watching him grow up, even if it is bittersweet.

Jayna, if you can believe it, is almost 3! Jayna has a piercing scream and a stubborn streak most people don't get to see, and yet she is often the sweetest thing ever. I LOVE the time I get to spend with her when Travis is at pre-school. She is a cuddler, and she loves to read (especially being read to), but she also can entertain herself quite easily. So easily, in fact, that the other night when I let her sleep in our bedroom, I came in later to find that she had (when I thought she was asleep) unwrapped a good portion of my, um, feminine products in the bathroom. Some were stuck to the carpet, some to the cabinet...yeah. She is definitely a curious one!

Evan is (today!) just a month away from ONE YEAR!! He is just so much fun. The easiest task in the world is making this kid laugh. I love his giggle. He is on the verge of walking, but then again, he's quite the speedy crawler so he might not feel the need to walk any time soon. He'll be the kid that's always on the go. We've had to keep after the other two when it comes to keeping little items (or treasured items) picked up, because Evan is an explorer and loves to ruin things. Or try to eat them. :)

And I have been busy...mostly with the kids, but also with MOPS, Bible study, dr.'s appointments...like I said - life. Though some days are tiring and stressful, others are joyful and peaceful and fun. And most are a mix of the two. I've been running again, and I'm about to pick things up and start running longer and hopefully faster, in order to train for a 12K (a hilly, difficult one, I might add) in June. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I'm also starting to plan for a little plot I've been given in our community garden - I don't know why, but I'm really excited about this! It will be a fun summer project. I've been playing the piano a lot more lately, and I'm just aching for the weather to get permanently nicer so we can spend more time outside! On the down side, I've been having some thyroid issues which to this point have required 5 dr.'s appointments... yesterday I had a medical procedure where I saw (on an ultrasound monitor) needles going in and out of my neck...kinda freaky. Hopefully by next Friday we'll have a definitive diagnosis.

God has been teaching me much lately about his sufficiency, and how I need to rely on Him - no one else, including myself - to meet my each and every need. This is such a hard, hard lesson to learn. But truth be told, people and circumstances disappoint. God never does. Ever. There is this worship song that I'm sure most of you have heard; the chorus reads "All of you is more than enough for all of me...for every thirst and every need...you satisfy me with your love, and all I have in you, is more than enough". When I worship God in song, I want to be genuine, and I tell you, I always wince a little when I sing this chorus. Why? Because I can't say fully and completely that this is true. Maybe I have moments of feeling this way. But most of the time, yes, I want God's love...but I also want friends who never let me down, a husband who never lets me down, a self who never lets me down. Thankfully, it has not taken a 2 X 4 to the head for God to remind me of this lesson, He has been much more gentle than that (though it's still sometimes painful)! It's a tough lesson to learn...but the most thrilling and peace-giving blessing when we embrace it... God is an all-sufficient God. He is Enough.

Other family happenings... one of my sisters just returned from her year-long stint in South Korea, and much of my family was here last weekend for her homecoming. Fun times. And Travis has been attached to her hip ever since! (she's been staying at our house, for the most part). Sorry Bonnie! Also, Steve's sister is recently engaged, so we have a wedding to look forward to! We have an extended weekend in Seattle with my family coming up in a couple weeks, Evan's birthday in April, Steve's in May, and Travis and Jayna's in June, then SUMMERTIME!!! Farmer's markets, camping, sunshine, 4th of July, family visits, maybe an anniversary trip...thoughts of summer make me smile!

Until next time...

5 comments:

Kara

Thanks for the update! Praying for good health for my homegirl Sarabeth :).

Shonda

Wow! Thanks for the update. You are one busy mama. You always seem so relaxed. How do you do that?!

Becky

Yeah!!! I love reading all of this stuff :) Laughed so hard about Jayna and the "feminine products" LOL!!

Williams Family

OK, I want to see PICTURES of the "feminine art work"!!! Maezie got into mine once (though they were the "sticks" kind), made a big mess on the floor, and Bryan wouldn't touch them to clean it up! Ah, the memoirs of mommyhood....

Anonymous

Ethan found my tampons the other day and asked me if they were my "magic sticks" and then proceeded to play with them as if they were light sabers. Boys...

love ya!
Mel