CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 3, 2010

My gardens!

This year, I am embarking on a new hobby: vegetable gardening! I'm not really sure why I'm so excited about this, but I am! I've always wanted a garden, but figured that as long as we lived in our current home, I probably wouldn't get one. Last summer, however, our neighborhood started a community garden. It's made up of probably 20-25 4' X 8' raised beds, all available for residents to use for the growing season. They charge $10 for water usage, but otherwise, it's free, and this year I got my name on the list in time to claim one. Shortly after that, a guy by the name of Mike advertised in our community newsletter that he would be willing to come and look at your space, help you plan accordingly, and build a 4' X 12' raised bed, plant 2 fruit trees (we picked apple and plum), and also a raspberry patch. He was great. He and his wife came and did all the building/planting (and filled/covered it all with compost) in an afternoon. They were so friendly and had lots of tips for us, and on top of that they charged us not nearly enough considering all the plants/supplies/work they did. I love nice people :)

In the last week or so, I've spent a little time here and there planning my gardens...what to grow, when to plant what, etc. We've started some from seed, but we'll do most of it from starts, at least this first year. On the list: zucchini, tomatoes, peas, beans, pumpkins, carrots, lettuce, and possibly potatoes, broccoli, and/or cucumbers. Haven't decided for sure yet. We'll see how much I can fit in :) And we're way excited about the raspberries, although they may not produce much this first year. Everyone tells me that gardening is easier than it seems, but I still feel like this year will be somewhat experimental, and that's okay. I've got many years of gardening ahead of me, Lord willing!

Pictures of what it all looks like now...I'll follow up later with pictures of my bountiful harvest!

4 comments:

Kara

Yeah for first gardens. I can't wait to harvest this year. Oh, and I wouldn't do too much broccoli with limited space. It takes up way to much room and I hear there are bug problems. I am thinking about getting rid of some of the starts I planted so I have more room for foods that I really want. Can't wait to see updates!

Jeremy and Laura Lebow

I want some of those raspberries! my grandma used to have a bunch of raspberries in her garden, and i have fun memories of picking them when i was a toddler and just eating them by the handful.

Becky

Good job Mom! lol. Hey, I'm just proud I cleaned out my flower beds.

The Johnsons

Yay gardening! I hope you have a lot more success than we've ever had, but alas, we're trying it again. I just can't help myself. I want to try fruit trees too. That's a great place for yours!