Travis has been attending Awana at our friends' church this year, and he absolutely loves it! It's amazing to me how the brain of a 3 year old is such a sponge...he is able to memorize verses much more easily than I would have thought. He is a "Cubbie", he adores his teachers, and he looks forward to it every week. What's also nice about it is that the church is only about 4 minutes from our house, and it creates a good weekly opportunity for Jayna to be alone with mom and dad. I remember us trying to decide at the beginning of the school year what our family would commit to/be involved in and what we would let go...I'm so glad we decided to have Travis do Awana!
A couple of weeks ago they held the "Awana Grand Prix", a pine derby-type race. We decided to make a car with Travis, but we didn't really care about making it fast. I just wanted him to be as involved as possible in making it. We chose to create a school bus for two reasons: 1)Travis loves school busses, and 2)it requires minimal cutting of the block of wood (Steve had to do that part, and we were in a time crunch). Then Travis painted it (he chose orange), and I bought/cut some felt for the windows as well as some little eyes for the front, all of which he glued on.
As we guessed, the school bus came in dead last in its heat. However, Travis did in fact win a trophy for 1st place in design! Oh yeah. (never mind that this very well could have been a decision made out of pity:) As you can imagine, Travis was thrilled!

4 comments:
Congrats Travis! I would have picked yours for !st on design also.
That is so cool! I love Awanas and am sad BBC doesn't have it anymore. Maybe Travis will take after his Uncle Sammy and earn the Timothy Award! I love the bus! Grandma S.
Way to go Trav! That's a great looking bus!
No pity involved! That bus is adorable!! Great job, Travis!
Post a Comment