CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Life with three

Wow, it's been a long time since I've blogged! It's not that I haven't wanted to or haven't had anything to blog about, it's just that in order to blog, it takes me both time and mental energy. And it's been a while since I've had both at the same time. But I'm starting to feel a bit more on top of things these days, so hopefully I'll quickly be able to get caught up on the blog.

Evan is 7 weeks tomorrow...that's right, 7 weeks!! Even when the days and nights are long, time still flies! People have been asking me pretty much since he was born what life is like with three kids. I've been meaning to answer this question on the blog for a long time now, but it's probably good that I didn't right away because if I had answered it weeks ago, my answer would have been skewed by a lack of sleep and a somewhat frequent feeling that I was in over my head. :) Now, however, Evan is sleeping much more/better at night, and I've learned some things that have brought me to where I am now...feeling like it IS possible for me to be a good mom to three, but also really enjoying it! Not always, mind you, but hey - is there ANY mom out there who thoroughly enjoys her kids ALL of the time? If so, you're lying:) We all have our tough moments. Anyway...

The biggest way I've adapted is that I've had to become more disciplined. And really, this needed to happen. I don't let myself spend nearly as much time on the computer. I do laundry pretty much continually, rather than procrastinating and trying to do it all at once. I don't let myself stay up so late, and I also don't wait until the last possible second to get out of bed in the morning. I try really hard to spend time with God every day. Granted, I'm not talking in depth analyzation of the Bible...I'm talking literally a 5 minute devotion and quick prayer time. I've learned that my day/attitude will be infinitely better and I will have so much more patience and joy if I a)am rested, and b)had my devotion time. (I have one book of short devotions...if anyone has any recommendations in that department, let me know).

At the same time, I've also learned to lower my expectations in certain areas. Which generally is a tough thing for me to do, but it has been a necessity. As you know, I am a to-do list person. I still have these lists, but now I don't force myself to be superwoman and try to accomplish way more than I am actually able. My lists are much more realistic - and this way I don't feel like a failure by never being able to complete it. I'm quite proud of myself right now because "update the blog" is the last thing on my to-do list for this week! And feeling proud and competent is much better than dwelling on how much you have left to do. There will ALWAYS be more housework/chores. I've definitely learned to prioritize...I may have a list a mile long of projects/chores/etc. to complete, but it's all about pinpointing what is most important at any given time. And if I must let certain things wait so that I can address the most important tasks (beyond simply caring for the kids, which takes the most time by far!), so be it! And it certainly helps that I have a husband who is SO hands-on with the kids. I don't know how I'd be managing if Steve wasn't as helpful and involved as he is. I'd go crazy!!

One other thing I've noticed is that I am so CONSTANTLY busy addressing needs - seriously, I basically go from one kid to another all day taking care of needs - that I can see how it would be super easy to remain on autopilot until, years from now, I look back and realize that there was so much I missed or that I don't remember. So, I've begun a journal that I write in every night. I only allow myself 1-2 sentences, because if I did more then I wouldn't be able to keep it up. Every day, I pick a favorite mommy moment (a funny thing one of them said, a sweet thing one did, a milestone, etc.), and I write it down. It really helps me to pause, be thankful, and be aware of my kids as they are right now. I highly recommend this idea to any parent!

One thing I'm still working on is trying to figure out how to get my "me" time. I'm a person who is energized and refreshed by being alone, even if just for a bit. I'm thinking my best bet will be getting up before the kids, which I'm often doing these days, anyway, because of Evan. It is also nice to be able to get out with the girls or with Steve every once in a while, but that will get easier as Evan gets older. I don't like being away from him for very long at this point!

The kids are doing so well with Evan. If anything, I have to protect him from Jayna's coddling. She likes to hug him, but when she does, she puts her entire weight on him, which does not make him happy:) She frequently tries to shove binkies in his mouth and "bounce" him in his chair. She calls him "baby Ewan"...it's so stinkin' cute! Oh, and she likes to hold him, which I've always helped her do by holding up her arm. But now she tries to shove my hand away and hold him by herself...doesn't work so well! And Travis is much more aware of Evan than he was with Jayna (naturally, being older). If Evan's not in the same room, he asks where Evan is, and he lets me know when Evan is crying (like I can't hear it). He also likes to give Evan "kiss and a hug". At the same time, the kids have generally gone on with life as they did before Evan was around. So they've adjusted quite well, I think.

So that's where I'm/we're at right now. The first month or so with a newborn is awesome in so many ways, but it's also really tough in others, and I feel like we're past that tough point. The age Evan is entering now is one of my absolute favorites...he's sleeping better, on a somewhat predictable routine, and he's still so little but he's smiling and becoming more responsive. So fun!

I have lots of pictures I'll try to post soon....more to come!

4 comments:

Mashel

I love the new top picture! That is so cute. Especially Jayna and her sunglasses!
Have you realized that you can't go by your blog list to tell you when I posted last yet? When I changed it over to private, it made it so my new posts don't register on it anyomre. Not sure why, but I have posted more recently then a month ago.

Kara

You are amazing!! Life with a newborn is so awesome but so intense... and with two other ones.... all I can say again is that you are amazing!!

Bonnie Kim

is Evan's hair sticking straight up in the top photo?

The Engman family

You're doing great! Sounds like you're getting a handle on things!