Anyway, my overwhelming feeling now is simply that I miss him. A lot. When Steve and I first told Travis the news of grandpa's passing, his first words were "I'm really going to miss him a lot". He nailed it. I will miss his stories, ranging from "the little girl who got her dress dirty" to WWII Navy stories. I'll miss his and grandma's frequent random stops by our house...the last of which was just a few days before his hospitalization. I'll miss watching him play with our kids, especially Travis, and his genuine love and care for Steve, too. I'll miss his interactions with grandma. I'll miss his wisdom, humor, concern, and his ability to love so many people, each completely. I'll miss his support and pride in me. And I would do just about anything for a hug from him right now.

My wedding in 2001. (please disregard how much younger and skinnier I looked:)
Summer 2006. My family at the time minus Sam and Michele. Celebrating grandma's 80th birthday.
2007, at 85 years old! Not sure who was having more fun here!
They have a pool at their house that we grew up swimming in, and the great-grandkids swim in, as well. Travis was 2 here...he apparently needed a break and - without prompting - pulled a chair up next to grandpa and copied him by putting his feet up, too.
Early summer, 2008.
Steve's graduation from the police academy, October 2008.
A navy salute.
Grandpa was SO proud to be a WWII Navy veteran. Their first years of marriage were spent with him at war. His stories (and hers, of life at home) of this time have always fascinated me and made me so proud of them.
I think this was taken just at Thanksgiving (by a cousin). They are so cute. My favorite couple ever, for sure. I am selfishly praying for many, many more years with grandma :) I love her dearly. You would love her, too :)Despite the turmoil of the last month, we were in fact able to enjoy the Christmas season together as a family, and I really want to post some of those pictures/stories...but that will have to wait until tomorrow night. I'm tired. I did want to give a huge "thank you" to all of you who have called, emailed, commented on this blog or facebook with prayers and loving words. Like I said in an earlier post, I know that that there is so much more to pray for in the world and in each of our lives, so thank you for encouraging me anyway, and validating my emotions, and just for caring. I've always known the importance of caring for others in this way, but this gave me another personal reminder of how much it really does help.
7 comments:
Absolutely touching! So glad you have these memories of him to share with your children. Still praying...
That first picture of you and your grandpa on your wedding day is absolutely beautiful. It makes me happy to think that my parents and inlaws have the potential to have this kind of effect on my kiddos.
Beautifully written and I love the pictures.
What a beautiful post dedicated to your grandfather.
That was really special to read. Thanks for sharing. I love the one of you and Grandpa at your wedding- so beautiful! and him at Travis by the pool is really endearing. I love Grandpa's face!
The pic of the sailors saluting captured a special moment. I was really touched by the honor given to Grandpa through that ceremony!
Love,
Vic :)
Beautiful tribute, Sarabeth, and great pics. Mom
What a sweet tribute to your grandpa! I know exactly what you mean about missing him - I still miss my Grandad and would love to hear his voice or his guitar again.
I'm glad you were able to share the holidays with your family!
Post a Comment