CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 9, 2012

Grace....sometimes

Driving home from swimming lessons today, I agreed that since the kids had been making such great progress at swimming, we would drive through somewhere and get them a treat. But within a minute of that conversation, Travis and Jayna started arguing. I told them once they needed to stop fighting and start speaking kindly to one another...but it started again a few minutes later. So I told them that kids who behaved that way did not get treats, and we would not be driving through anywhere. Silence....then Travis said, "But mommy (sly giggle), this is a time when you could practice showing grace to us." 


Part of me was surprised that he knew exactly what it meant to extend grace to someone, and part of me was surprised that he would know how to use God's teachings against me :) I couldn't help but laugh, and yes, they still got a treat. (Travis was quite tickled with himself, and Jayna said with a thumbs-up, "Nice one, Trav!")

Then tonight, after Jayna threw a royal fit over something minor, I told her she would be going straight to bed instead of staying up a bit late. Picture this: Jayna, with hands out to the side as if asking a question, a look of panic/confusion/hope on her face - wailing, "But mommy.....grace???!!"

I see a discussion on grace AND consequences in our future...but nice try, girlie.