I feel the need to follow up on the last post... so much could be said, but I have just a couple of thoughts I want to share.
I think we all know that it can be really hard to see good come of the bad. This is especially true of something as senseless, shocking, and heartbreaking as the events of last week. Seriously, what good could possibly come of something so evil?
And yet, there HAVE been good...even beautiful...things that have happened in response to all of this. First, there has been a definite increase in public appreciation of law enforcement. Granted, the price was WAY too high, and I know that ANY officer out there would, in a heartbeat, go back to not being appreciated if it meant having those four officers back. Nevertheless, this is a group that has perhaps the most thankless job we can think of. As with members of the military, these people put their lives on the line every day that they work in order to protect my freedom and well-being, as well as yours. And yet most of us, when we think of cops, just think about that one jerk who gave us the ticket we didn't deserve. I'm not just saying this because I'm a cop's wife...they deserve our thanks!
Early last week, Steve was assigned to work security at the Lakewood police station. It was a night shift, but despite the late hours and the freezing cold, Steve said that the flow of people coming to pay their respects and grieve was constant. And of all those people, dozens stopped and gave him a hug and said "thank you". I went to Wal-Mart last week, and as I was loading my groceries in the car there was an officer in the parking lot. He couldn't even move his car for all the people rolling down their windows to say "thank you". And the number of people lining the streets for the procession to the memorial service was impressive...there, of course, to honor the fallen, but also there, I believe, simply to stand in support of law enforcement. I hope that even in years to come, people in our area will remember this time, and will remember to again say "thank you".
The "beautiful" that I referred to earlier has been the incredible outpouring of love shown by our greater community in all of this. And I know that I've only seen glimpses of this; I'm sure people closer to the situation could speak in much greater detail on this. I think it was the Lakewood chief who, at the memorial service, talked about how it was difficult to be truly angry when everywhere he looked, he saw people expressing love. Yes, we got a shocking glimpse last week of the pure evil that exists in our world. But as a result, we've seen so much good and so much love that many of us didn't know existed, either. And that brings tears to my eyes even more quickly than when I think of the sadness. Some of the "glimpses" I've seen...
As I mentioned before, Steve witnessed endless numbers of people coming to the station to leave flowers, remembrances, and prayers. From pictures, I've gathered that the flow of people continued all the way through yesterday (and probably even beyond?) Also on that night, baristas from Starbucks and elsewhere came on a nearly hourly basis to distribute free drinks to working and non-working officers. Restaurants and businesses brought mountains of food for them. Later in the week I visited the memorial at the site of the shooting, and again, people everywhere, coming together to honor the officers, some praying, many shedding tears. As the days went on, countless prayer vigils were set up throughout the area to pray for all affected. Benefit concerts and programs were set up by groups and businesses everywhere to help ensure the families will be taken care of. And God only knows how many prayers were lifted up. It's like everyone just wanted to help, and if they could think of a way to help, they did! Maybe most impressive of all was the memorial service and the number of people who showed up. Hundreds of officers each from New York, Boston, Chicago (maybe others?), and over a thousand from Canada! Over 20,000 in attendance, the vast majority being law enforcement from all over the country. It was amazing! Anyway, as much as this whole ordeal just plain sucks, I have been truly blessed and encouraged to see such showings of love and support, and how people have really come together.
Even though most of us are now beginning the process of moving on, my prayers will be with the families of the four officers in the coming months. Their grief has only just barely begun.
Oh, one more thought (that's not from me, but from Pastor Matt last Sunday). Many, including myself, have asked, "Why did it have to be at Christmastime?" with the concern that now the holidays will just bring sadness and reminders of the pain for the families. Matt's comments were more along the lines of "What better time than Christmas to help begin the healing process?" After all, Christmas is a celebration of Jesus coming to earth to save us from sin and brokenness. Can you imagine where we'd be if He hadn't?
With that...on to some Christmas cheer :)
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well written! Thanks for the encouraging words.
Wow! We can find reasons to praise God in all things!
Post a Comment