Do you ever have a hard time starting a post? Or any type of writing, for that matter? I remember my high school/college writing courses, and how I almost always wrote the body and conclusions of papers before going back and writing the opening paragraph. I'm having one of those moments rights now, but that could just be because I need to go to bed. But dang it, I have something to write about! Anyway....
Sometimes in the evening after the kids are in bed and I'm cleaning, etc. downstairs, I like to listen to the talk shows on our Christian radio station..."Focus on the Family" is on first, and then "Family Life". Okay, actually, I only do this rarely, but I always enjoy it. Well, God must have known that I needed to hear last night's message, because I decided to turn it on and listen. And I'm so glad I did, because it brought me peace over an issue that I've been thinking a lot about lately. (Isn't it great when God works that way...gives you the exact message you need, exactly when you need it?!)
I've been thinking a lot lately about my current role in the world, particularly as a Christian. Let me say, first of all, that I always knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. And to this day, I wouldn't want it any other way. I love that, for now, I can be aware of every single influence over my kids' impressionable minds, whether that be people, tv programs, books, etc.; I love being there for my kids any time they need me, and mostly, I love spending time with them and being able to watch them grow in every way, big and small. It's no exaggeration when I say the rewards are endless. On the other hand, there are definitely some potential drawbacks that sometimes you have to work to safeguard yourself against...social starvation, a lack of intellectual stimulation, a decline in any work skills you may have attained in the past, slight to severe shortages of patience and level-headedness that may then lead to you being less than the nurturing mother you want to be....I could go on. These are all things I have felt at one time or another, but what I struggle with possibly more than anything else (as a stay-at-home mom) is that sometimes I wonder if I should be doing more, that I should be someone more. Like I'm "just" a stay-at-home mom. Come on, my fellow SAHM's, you know what I mean, right?! I know several people around my age/stage in life who are doing amazing things beyond the four walls of their own homes...some of them have no kids, which obviously makes it easier, but the ones who truly amaze me are the moms. Some moms I know work part or full time, and yet still have all the energy, stamina, and love, to be truly outstanding moms. (If you are one of them, I am in awe of you!) And I look at them and think, "Wow. Look at the difference they are making". And then I wonder if maybe, just maybe, I should be doing "more" with my precious time on earth.
On Monday night, Steve and I attended a meeting at church where we listened to a speaker talk about "making ripples"...how one life affects another, which affects another, and so on. He encouraged the crowd to take risks, to put themselves out there, to find ways to be part of the advancement of God's kingdom. It was a really great talk, but initially, I was a tad bit discouraged. Obviously, I am making enormous ripples in the lives of my children. But is that enough? If all of us only worried about affecting the lives of our kids, then what about all the non-believers? I don't want to just train my children how to be productive citizens and loving Christians, I want to be a productive citizen and loving Christian myself! And yes, I am involved in our MOPS ministry at church, and also am a member of the worship team, and I cultivate friendships that I do believe (or at least hope) create "ripples". But 94.5% of my time is spent being "mom". And again, though "mom" is the role I value more than any other (aside from "child of God" and "wife"), is "mom" enough?
Also, aside from wanting to make sure I am doing what God wants me to be doing at this stage in life, I also sometimes just plain miss the other aspects of who I am....things such as a teacher and a musician (and a traveller, a writer....). Not that I never live out these other roles...they are just not priorities right now. But sometimes I feel the need to be validated, in that I am a mom, but I am so many other things, as well.
Okay, now fast forward to the radio program. The topic was "Biblical womanhood", and they (2 men and a woman, not sure exactly who they were) were talking about the Biblical view of the many roles that women play. I'll just skip to the part that was so encouraging...they were talking about how, from the beginning of time, one of the greatest roles of both men and women has been to advance the kingdom of God. Then the woman spoke up and talked about the time in her life when she was a SAHM, and she was thinking/wondering about all the same things I've been talking about. She then made two critical points, both of which I knew, but it was still nice to be reminded of.
First, she reminded us that in terms of advancing God's kingdom, our single greatest contribution we will make will be to mold the hearts of our kids, and to teach them to love God and others. Yes, we will accomplish more and contribute more than "just" raising Godly kids, but that is most definitely our greatest task of all, and the area of greatest influence on the world. Therefore, I want to take full advantage of this time and cherish it and nurture it as if it will be gone tomorrow.
Which leads nicely to her second point....every single stage of life is a season. And each of us, no matter where we are in life, need to remember that in the blink of an eye, our current season will pass. When you are in the midst of the constant hard work of raising young children, it is easy to feel like the work will never end, like you will ALWAYS be the mother of young children (especially when you want lots of kids, as I do!). But you know what? I will teach again someday, in some capacity, Steve and I will travel more, I will dive back in to music wholeheartedly...and without a doubt, I will miss this season of peek-a-boo, playdates, endless kisses, sweet giggles, and rediscovering the world. I know I will miss it dearly.
And so, the lesson learned for me personally is to embrace my role of full-time mommy and savor every minute of it, because it will be gone before I know it. (Despite all I've said, I'm actually very resistant to the idea of my kids growing up. Sometimes I wish I could stop time in it's tracks!) I also want to be the best mom I can be, and not grow complacent in that goal. And this is a good lesson for all of us, that no matter where you are in life (working mom, stay at home mom, college student, empty-nester....), enjoy it, and know that no matter what stage it is, it is an opportunity to be used by God.
Isn't that encouraging?! I thought so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
You are such a blessing to me...proof that my SAHM time was worth it all! Mom
So, I have never left a comment on one of these things, but this is worthy of a comment for sure. Speaking on behalf of one of the non-SAHMs (which I know you were at the stage of motherhood that I am . . . a mom with one 3-month old) I have to say that I almost cried at your "compliment" to us because I struggle everyday leaving my girl to go and be with high school kids who can sometimes be very frustrating and it doesn't seem like I'm making much of a difference in their lives. (Wow, what a run-on sentence that was!) I appreciated your list of pros and cons to being a SAHM as it showed me that, at least for this time in my life, it's ok to be working part-time and that my daughter will be just fine. However, I do pray that someday the Lord will allow me to stay at home more with her and our other future children (no, I'm not pregnant, so don't read into that!) but I'm sure I will, at that point in my life, be asking the same questions that you are, Sarabeth. P.S. You are now not only affecting your kids' lives, but mine as well, and I know you're doing a great job!
Wow, Sarabeth, what an amazing and deep post. I completly understand what you wrote, and agree with you 100%. When I was one of those moms who worked part time, all I ever longed for was to stay at home with my kids, and now that I get too, I love it, but it is by far the hardest job I have ever had! You are doing such a great job as a mom Sarabeth, and I know that it can be hard sometimes to see how much we are actually doing, but if you think about it you are not only shaping the lives of your children, but you are touching the lives of their future spouses, kids, and friends. It is like that song that they are playing on SPIRIT, "I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me?" As mom, our kids are our legacy and how they turn out is a direct reflection of the work and love that we pour into them. And I know that we will miss it. Very well written. You are wonderful at everything you do, and who knows what God has planned for you during this season, you may end up touching the lives of children other then your own biological ones, through foster care, like us. You never know what God has planned.
Wow Sarabeth. I'm crying and I don't do that very often. Maybe I needed to hear that today. I love being a SAHM, but sometimes I can't wait for the day to be over or Travis to get home so I can have a break. I gues it's a great reminder to soak in these moments when I want to pull my hair out, becuase soon they will be gone and I'll be wishing they were back again. Thanks for the encouragment girl, your kids are lucky to have you!
It's easy sometimes for me to be discontent at the stage that I'm at. I worry about not being married or having kids and think that I'm missing out and being deprived of something I have always wanted. But the truth is, I don't know what's best for me. Only God does and I have to trust that. How silly of me to think that I know better than Him! He obviously has me in this place, in this time for a reason. It's not easy but I know every stage in life will have its challenges and rewards. The key, I've learned, is glorifying God wherever we're at and serving Him in the best capacity we can at the time.
The other day I was feeling a little guilty that I get to go travel and nothing holds me back from that. But I do know what a blessing this precious time of freedom is for me. I treasure it so much, especially now that I know what a hard and full time job parenting is. Sometimes I think it's weird that we're so close in age and at such different stages. But I'm glad I can learn from you. I love you and Steve and Travis and Jayna so much! I feel so lucky to be so close to you. And I guess when I'm raising my kids still, you and Steve will be traveling the world!
Thanks SB. That IS really encouraging. Is FOTF on 105.3 in the evenings?
Tiff
I so so relate to your post. I keep feeling like I am behind in career world right now, but then I have been reminded by several people of how I have many many years a head of me in the career department (too many I say). I want to get my masters.. but I keep trying to figure out the right timing worrying that I will never do it. Even though I can go a little cooko at times at home,I would not trade my life for anything. I am influencing impressionable little human beings.. what could be a more important job? Even though life can go by slowly on a day to day basis (especially when I have a baby who wake up at 5:45 and makes my day extra long), I know that it is zooming by, and I know that I will never regret this decision to spend so much time with my kiddos as frustrating as it can be at times.
Your post reminded me of that old Amy Grant song with the lyric, "All I ever have to be is what you've made me." There is so much pressure and guilt to be more than what we are, or what others are, or who we think we ought to be. While you wonder if you should be "doing more" than being a SAHM, I wish that I could be at home with my boy instead of him being in daycare all day long! Your task of raising Travis and Jayna (and future Butts') is THE singular most important task of life and you are doing a PHENOMENAL job. Know that you are touching the lives of your babies and those around you. Your example of love, gentleness, diligence, discipline, nurturance and inspiration does not go unnoticed. Another note, God often puts the phrase "Bloom where you are planted" in my head when I feel like I want to be "anywhere but here." It reminds me that I am at this place in my life for a reason and to do my best in the circumstances I'm in. Enjoy the season and be encouraged dear sister! Mel
Thank you, everyone, for your encouraging and insightful comments. This will be one of those posts that will be good to revisit when I'm needing encouragement!
Mel,
I can't believe you remembered an Amy Grant lyric!
Post a Comment