CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moving on

Well, it's official! Steve has been hired to be a police officer with a local police department. Crazy, I know. For those of you unfamiliar with the process, it takes jumping over a number of hurdles to become a police officer (as it should)...a physical ability test, an oral board, a VERY thorough background investigation, a psychological evaluation and polygraph test, a physical, and then another physical ability test (which he completed and passed last Friday). And that's just to get hired...now he has 19 weeks (I think) of the academy where he will be trained. His last day at Quadrant is this Friday, and he'll start with the new job next Tuesday, where he'll have a few weeks of orientation/training, and then he'll start the academy mid-June.

Many have asked how I feel about all of this...hmm, good question. There has certainly been a lot for us to think about and consider. Well, most of all, I'm excited. I'm especially excited for the fact that we'll see more of him (yes, it is true). I truly believe that Steve will make a great police officer, and I'm excited that he's excited! (How many times can I use the word "excited"?) I'm also proud of him for making it through the whole process, and with flying colors, really. If God speaks through the opening and closing of doors, then the ease with which he made it through the hiring process really gave us extra confirmation that God is with us in this enormous change. Yes, I will admit that there is a part of me that is anxious. There is obviously some physical danger involved in being a police officer, but of equal concern to me is the emotional stress that he will face. I also love that Steve is a compassionate and caring person, and though I know he will, out of necessity, "harden" himself a bit, I do pray that the softer side of him will remain, and even make him a better officer. Anyway...like I said, I'm really happy for Steve, and looking forward to the start of a new career that I hope he loves. As for the physical danger, I honestly feel very at peace knowing that our lives are in God's hands. I can't let myself dwell on the "what if's". As for the other possible emotional/relational pitfalls of being a police officer, it is good to be aware of them, which I believe we are (as much as we can be at this point, anyway). And we'll need to continue to be aware of them as time goes on.

My personal prayer right now is that Steve receives excellent training at the academy that will prepare him as much as is possible for "the streets". And also that I can know how to be most supportive to him during this time. So if you're looking for something to pray for, we would appreciate you thinking of us!

In the meantime...congratulations, my man!! I really am so proud of you! Off we go on a new adventure...

6 comments:

Crystal

Wow, that is exciting! Congrats to you!

Anonymous

Do I smell bacon?

Julie

Congrats to you both in this new endeavor. :) That's really cool.

Anonymous

Congratulations Steve! So happy for you guys. Will be praying for you. Mel

Tiffany Nevil

Congrats to you both! SB, I worried about the same thing when Jeremy joined the Army (the softness). I still worry about it sometimes, but we talk about it often. I've found that God is the keeper of our husbands hearts and will grow strength and discipline where it's needed and will keep tenderness and softness where it's needed. We're praying for you on this journey!

The Johnsons

Yeah Steve!!!