CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

My dear friend Kara recommended this book on her blog awhile back, and I just finished it at 2:00am Sunday morning. It is a book that every one of you should read, and easily one of the top 3 books I have ever read. Here's the synopsis from Hosseini's website:

"A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan’s last thirty years—from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to the post-Taliban rebuilding—that puts the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives—the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness—are inextricable from the history playing out around them. Propelled by the same storytelling instinct that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once a remarkable chronicle of three decades of Afghan history and a deeply moving account of family and friendship. It is a striking, heart-wrenching novel of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love—a stunning accomplishment."

Not only did I learn so much about all that has happened and is happening in Afghanistan over the last 30 years, but this book put all of that into human terms and gave powerful insight into what it means to live in Afghanistan, and even more so, what it means to be a woman in this country. I don't think that I can really give it justice with my words, so I'll just tell you to read it. And prepare to cry. I was literally sobbing through the last few chapters. And I'm still processing it all.

His first book, The Kite Runner, is next on my list!

6 comments:

Kara

The Kite Runner is also depressing but not as depressing as A Thousand Splendid Suns. I literally have had to take a month break from reading after those two books. They just wore me out emotionally.

Crystal

Is it available to barrow?

Becky

Funny that you say that. My CT, Mrs. Johnson was raving about that book at the beginning of the year. I'll have to read it.

Steve & Sarabeth

Crystal--I got it from the library, otherwise I'd lend it out in a heartbeat!

Julie

Is it a safe read for someone whose hubby is about to go there?

Steve & Sarabeth

Julie-
Yes! In fact, I think that you, especially, should read it. I think it would help you appreciate his mission even more, even if it is so hard to have him gone. Honestly, it mostly deals with the past 30 years until about 4 years ago, I think. And at that point, all I'll say is that it definitely indicates a huge shift in the culture and atmosphere, including the safety. I will actually be really interested to eventually hear what it is that Rob will do in Afghanistan to help rebuild. The book makes ME appreciate our soldiers in Afghanistan even more.