CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I just ran a half-marathon?!

Running has been a part of my life, to varying degrees, since I was a kid. I remember even as young as 10 or 11, running short kids' runs while my mom, who has been a "real" runner for years, would run the longer runs and my two younger sisters and I were just along for the ride. But we're talking short 1 or 2 mile runs, and only a couple times a year. In high school, I didn't run cross country or track or anything, but at some point during my junior year, I decided to do something about the fact that I didn't like the way I looked. I started running - just for 30 minutes, 4-5 times/week, and I lost 20 lbs. in maybe 6 or so months. Then when I went away to PLU and worried that I would gain the dreaded "freshman 15", I ran a few times a week, when I could squeeze it in to my crazy schedule. And then even after I got married (but before kids), I was an on-again, off-again runner. But after I started having kids, I only did a bit of running/walking here and there, in between pregnancies.

About this time last year, I started running more consistently, and in February, I set two goals for myself: I would run a 12K in June, and a half-marathon in September. I registered for the Sound to Narrows simply for the timing and proximity to home. And right after that race, I registered for the You Go Girl Half Marathon, again because I wouldn't have to travel, and because I knew it wouldn't be terribly hilly, and I figured the all-girl atmosphere would make it a fun one.

The 12K was back in June, the Sound to Narrows run. I had done the 5K before, but not the 12. It was hard - lots of hills, some of them long ones. But I actually ran it faster than I expected, finishing at 1:12. I remember when I finished, however, thinking "there's no way on earth I'll be able to run a half-marathon". It seemed so far out of reach. And even up until a couple of weeks before the half, I was feeling a little unsure. I had worked myself up to 11 mile runs, but when I finished I'd practically have to crawl back to my car :)

But....I did it!! 13.1 miles is REALLY FAR, let me tell you, but I did it! Don't get me wrong - at times it seriously sucked and I wanted to quit, but I was just so proud and thankful when I crossed that finish line!

Regardless of my time, I am especially proud of two things:

1)My training. I worked so hard for this, logging many miles and many hours. It would have been very easy for me to ease up or quit my training any number of times, especially with our crazy-busy summer, 3 young and thus needy kids, our always changing schedule, etc. But I was consistent.

2)On race day, I felt like crap. Seriously, I hadn't been sick for months, then 2 days before the race, of course I should get sick! I had body aches, chills, headache....basically, the flu our kids had passed around all week. On Saturday I felt considerably better, and on Sunday when I woke up I felt okay. When I started to feel a bit feverish before the race, I thought maybe it was just nerves or I was imagining it? The first 2-3 miles I started out pretty strong, even through the worst of the hills, but then around mile 3 I started feeling really dizzy and nauseous, and I even at one point swallowed back a bit of puke. (sorry, I know that's gross). I slowed way down and tried to relax, but at this point, I was very seriously considering just quitting at the 10K mark. I didn't want to be the one who passed out and needed a medic. But then I got to the sign that said "10K (arrow)/half-marathon (arrow)", I just had to go for it. Even if I had to go at a slower pace, I KNEW I would be really disappointed if I didn't do what I had trained for all these months. I'm proud of myself for fighting through that. Running is just as hard mentally as it is physically, but even more so when you are sick. And despite the way I felt, I pulled of a pace and time that I'm really happy with!

Now, I'm not sure what's next. I do know that, aside from any pregnancies, illnesses, or injuries, I will always be a runner. It keeps my healthy and fit, but more than that, it keeps me emotionally fit. Sometimes I think it's what keeps me sane :) It makes me feel strong and confident and capable, and I need something that makes me feel strong and confident and capable. I will probably never be the fastest runner out there (as I admitted to myself while being passed left and right by all the skinny girls in spandex), but that's okay. I'm also not the slowest one out there, and for me, consistency is the most important thing. I also enjoy finding new routes and areas in which to run, and one day I hope to connect more with other runners, maybe join a running group.

Before this race, I was thinking that my next goal would be to run to lose weight (because running to lose weight is different from running to train for a long race). But now that I have a taste of what it's like to finish a half, I want to do another! So I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the Seattle Marathon Half Marathon at the end of November. It will be a huge event, and I'll be running in new territory, so I think it will be lots of fun. And I'm looking forward to seeing how I can do when I'm NOT sick.

One more thing - I am so thankful for a husband who is supportive of me in this. He's spent a lot of extra time with the kids (and without me) so that I could train. He actually was assigned to traffic control during my race, and I got to see him a few different times during the run. The last time I saw him (maybe around mile 9?) I yelled to him that I wanted to die, and he just laughed at me and cheered me on. I love knowing that he is proud of me!


A friend took this, and I'm smiling only because I'm at about mile 12.9. And that's rain, not just sweat :)

9 comments:

Anonymous

I have a shirt that says "Running...cheaper than therapy!" And I know it to be true! Mom

Shonda

You are an inspiration. I hate running. Walking is more my style, but so proud of you for making goals and sticking with it and keeping going! Keep us posted!

rebekah birt

SB-I was on Bon's blog and saw this and it totally made me misty eyed! (I'm a sucker for when people accomplish something they've worked really hard for!). Major congratulations and I'll be cheering you on from Portland. : )

Anonymous

SB - I really am truly impressed with your accomplishment. You set a difficult goal to follow through on; running is not easy, and can easily be set aside when life gets crazy. Running does make you feel so much better though; I was really only serious about it myself in 2002, before Sam and I got married. If you, a mother of 3 and stay at home mom can make this happen, then I have no excuse! :) Congratulations on reaching your goals! Michele

Tiffany Nevil

Great job SB! It WAS hard - and I only did the 10 K! Way to go lady!

The Johnsons

Well, even being sick, you were light years ahead of me! And you went way, way farther! Way to go!

Shannon

You are awesome! Good for you! Love ya!

Kara

Sarabeth,
How did I miss this post?? That is awesome. After I have this baby... maybe we should do a half marathon together in Portland??? I was thinking about you today wondering how you have been. We should chat soon.

Anonymous

e past two weeks the AmeriKat's only main extra-curricular activity have seen her shouting about the merits of London as the seat of the Unified Patent Court (see here and further discussion here). For the AmeriKat, last Monday'sPrada Bags Outlet Halloween, a big holiday in any American Kat's calendar and the only exciting punctuation during her two weeks, was sadly disappointing; she did not manage to scare anyon

out of the time, had no choice but to follow study ignore the whole unit of projection in the US view.I seem to have been able to hear her shoulder joint minor noise.We finally arrived at the hospital the garden, she sat impassively in parterre edge, then hold your knees, stuffy asked me:" give me a cigarette, okay?"I point a, into her mouth. She is like a drug addict, unable to hold oneself back

vent the registration of a mark used by the Prada Top Handleapplication which has become distinctive of the applicant's goods in commerce." Tiffany argued that this statutory recognition that there is a broad universe of potentially trademark-able matter militates against the court carving out a blanket ruling that protection for single colors for use on fashion items is not available. Tiffany also argued that ca

to being on point in ballet shoes. Their feet are arched. Louboutin: Yes. I am with them from concept to execution to promotion. You end up knowing them all very well. I don't repeat that many styles if I can help, although Prada Tote Bagssome have become classics. I try not to repeat. I'd rather surprise people. My favorite of the moment is the Pigalle, covered in sparkles. It is one of the few things I don't n